Protecting your computer with a strong password is important, but what if you misplaced the password and forgot to create a password reset disk? Or what if a naughty roommate changed your password and locked you of the computer? So today we’re going to teach you how to reset forgotten password in Windows 10, 8 and 7.
Method 1: Reset Forgotten Windows Password with Installation DVD
If you have a Windows installation DVD, you can use it to boot off your computer and reset a forgotten local user password. Here’s how:
- Boot your PC from Windows installation DVD.
- When you see the Windows Setup screen, press SHIFT + F10 to open Command Prompt .
- Run the following commands to backup utilman.exe, and replace it with a copy of cmd.exe.
- copy d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\
- copy /y d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
- Restart your computer let Windows load normally. At Windows 10 sign-in screen, click on the “Ease of Access” button to access the Command Prompt.
- Now you can use the net user command to reset forgotten Windows password. When it’s done, restart your Computer to login with the new password.
Method 2: Reset Forgotten Windows Password with PCUnlocker
Need to access a locked computer that is protected with a Microsoft account? Forgot the local administrator password or you’re locked out? PCUnlocker is a powerful rescue disk that can help you bypass / reset forgotten passwords for local account, Microsoft account and domain login on every Windows system.
- First, you need to download PCUnlocker program using your friend’s PC. The downloaded file will be in .zip format, you need to extract the ISO file from it.
- Next burn the ISO file to a USB thumb drive (or a CD) using ISO2Disc.
- Now you have to boot your locked PC from the USB drive. Enter into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot priority and set it to boot from USB.
- After booting to the PCUnlocker, select the Administrator account or a local user tied to your Microsoft account. Click on Reset Password button. It will fix your account login issues and remove your forgotten password immediately.
- Reboot your computer and disconnect the USB drive. You can then log in without a password.
The process is very simple, even a computer novice can reset a forgotten Windows password in minutes!
Latest posts by rakesh kumar (see all)